colossians, empire, and what jesus wants

A conversation about the book Colossians Remixed

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I would like to introduce to ya'll Daylan who is going to be joining us. She goes to my church here in the 'Robe, and will join us as we explore this book.

I want to echo Jeanette's thing about truth. I struggle with this a bit, but I more wrestle with having understood things and not knowing what to do about it. For instance, my church has such a developed understanding of the power and sovereignty of God, but it struggles in how to live this out.

I don't think the world needs some new shining idea of truth to get things straight. It seems that we have known all along that loving those around us and loving God is the way it works. There is some confusion as to this warranting overseas initiatives, establishing our environments in suffering urban areas, etc. But really it comes down to loving the people we are around. I think we know this, but the depth of our knowledge is lacking. For instance, I've always had a heart to assist poverty in Africa, but that same heart grew in three times its size when I began to visit there often and develop relationships with people there.

Could we already know 99% of truth as it comes to how to live and have faith? Could we simply need to deepen this understanding more than we thought possible? Is truth overrated and living overlooked?

1 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Simon said...

Not that Africa poverty is the way when it comes to actualizing what 'loving our neighbor' means. How can we deepen our love for the world?

Shane Claiborne said once, "Its not that Christians don't care about poor people, but that they don't know the poor, that few in our middle/upper class churches actually know anyone who is poor.

I think this logic is valiant, that the problems our world faces (depression, abuse, neglect, despair) are obvious. But do we know the people? I think that once we grow to know these people, our love grows with it, and there starts our effectiveness as Christians in a post-mod age of despair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home